Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014

Okay, I have so many things to tell you guys, that you are all just gonna love!!!

First off, i got you a new spinach shake recipe....but it sounds a little sketchy. And it doesn't use spinach. haha...I got you a new green drink recipe, i guess. Avocado, milk (or almond milk for sweeter taste) and sugar.....I don't know how much of what...but so far like every brazilian tells us how good it is! Hahahha. I was cracking up because I felt like I was at home again.
Second off, This week has been such a roller coaster! Our MTC president got released, and we got new ones! President and Sister Swensen from Salt Lake city. I went up and talked with this guy Mario that works here who is just hilarious and he told them my portuguese was really good so then our new president was like, oh good, you have all today to prepare for tonights devotional. I was like....WHAT...no. Haha, he was kidding but then after he came up to me and was like, you might really wanna prepare, there are 2 devotionals a week. So just pray for me.

Okay, in my last letter I mentioned 2 people. Elder Assis and Elder Calixto..right. Okay so those guys went through the temple for the first time this week!! I guess its really common for brazilians to go through on their mission and they got to go through. I just started crying of happiness for them, and all day while they were gone, my comps and i were like... Can we go see them yet. are they here. hahaha. (again, can't do question marks on here...) anyways, they are such two awesome guys! And have taught me so so much, portuguese wise, gospel wise....everything. And sadly, this week they also left. Bawled, just honestly bawled, I asked them to bear their testimony for us in portuguese, thinking I won't understand it, but that Gift of Tongues works! I understood it and was bawling!!! They are going to be such incredible missionaries!
Um, the food here still sucks...so i'm basically starving all the time. Except one night they did grilled food-----AMAZING. But they haven't done it again...everything else just kind of blows. haha. Our district basically lives for pday. We go hard when it comes to our only 2 meals outside of the MTC. They have a brazilian restaraunt that is the buffet type, but it is also only like 10 american dollars, so freak.yeah. Also, coke zero is is 20 times better! Sorry to Katie and Mom!! But it is better down here! Also, the fruit is soo good. It is also what I eat with my bread and water every meal. haha.

Elder Bednar gave a devo on our last pday that was incredible. Elder B and his wife just answered missionaries questions, and I was bawling. The spirit is so strong here!!! I seriously cry like every day! Happy tears of course!

Every pday we go to the Sao Paulo Temple, and it is perfect. By pday, we are usually exhausted. We've spent a bazillion hours in classes all day. We are spiritually, physically brain dead. So the temple is the PERFECT reboot for me! And of course I just cry of homesick because it reminds me so much of being home. I am so grateful I decided to attend the temple often before my mission with my Mom. It makes it so special here, thinking, praying about home.

My portuguese instructors are getting better and better, because they are loosening up. ( Side note- My english spelling is getting HORRIBLE. So I am sorry.) Irmao Brito, we call him Burrito, and then Irma Alcade (all-caw-gee) are starting to joke WITH us. It is awesome, and makes us want to speak in portuguese all the flippin time! Haha. In fact, we are getting to know a lot of instructors here, and they are all awesome. Everybody here wants to go to BYU (Idaho or provo) so they love talking to me about it because I have been to college for longer than a semester. Haha. They all think i'm twelve..and are so shocked when I say 20. Haha

Funny Story-- The physical activity intrsuctor, Iramo Sandey, is so funny. So physical activity is like our only time to let loose, and so of course I do. But we were playing volleyball and he came over to me and was like...you are always happy. Course, it was in portuguese and about 200 words a second, so I didn't really understand him for a second, and he ended up calling my sister craiggy. LIke what...so he taught his entire class to call me that (he teaches across the hall from us) and then pretty soon they all started calling me Sister Crazy. So there you go--Meu Nome e Sister Crazy. Haha. Freakin' brazilians.

Anyways, my district is just getting better and better! We are all way different and it has definitely taken a lot of humility and prayers to get used to but seriously in free time we all just crack up! I love being with these guys!!

We got brazilian roommates this week!!! They are awesome! One is thirty and one is 20. They are helping us with the language, and we read out loud in the Book of Mormon everynight and they help us pronounce! So its awesome.
Speaking of portuguese, YES! To anwser all your questions. I am understand and learning portuguese pretty quick! I can understand it better than I can say it, but I can say it for sure! I can pray, testify, and have simple-ish conversations. My testimony of the Gift of Tongues has grown sooo fast.

I was having one frustrating day with it, and it felt like almost everything I was trying to do was just failing at. We got down to dinner and Elder Calixto sat down next to me. He could tell something was up (oh he speaks english really well, so it is such a blessing that he sat next to me haha.) I told him how I was just getting frustrated with the language, nothing was coming to me...blah blah blah. And he asked me a question--He said, are you praying for the gift of tongues. And I was like yes. And he was like when you ask for it, do you mention that you want it to bless others? (FIGURED THE QUESTION MARK OUT!) He kept going and was like God isn't going to give you this gift because of you. He is going to give you this gift so that you can bless others with this gospel. So then he asked me to pray, in Portuguese (and ya, I kinda smirked because ya....) and so we prayed. And he said to just say in english what I didn't know. so when it got for me to ask for the gift of Tongues, I went in english and reasoned it to bless the lives of others. And instantly I felt so much better! I felt calm, I felt better. That night was still rough, but the days after that it just was better and better.

I can feel God's love every day in my life. In frustrating times, in happy times, in sad times filled with goodbyes--I feel him daily. And I cannot be more thankful for that! This place is incredible. I am falling in love with Brazil more and more every day!

Okay, I love you all! I was reading in Mosiah this week, and I want you all to go read it! I don't know why, but the entire book just spoke to me. Missionary work is so crucial!!! I am little peeved right now, because I had this incredible quote from Elder Bednar to share with you guys, but I forgot it in my room. So I guess next week. Hopefully! I love you all! I am praying for you daily!! I miss you tons! Your letters are incredible so keep them coming!!!!


LOVE YOU!

Sister Crazy--Sister Craig.

Helaman 5 Verse 57

No comments:

Post a Comment