Monday, September 15, 2014

If you give a mouse a cookie...

FAMILY!!!!

I can't believe I am sitting down to write you yet another letter, already! I feel like it was yesterday that I wrote you. And then I think about what has happened, and I am like....alright lets just get down to business. Ha! But seriously, lots has happened.

So I finally received my companion. She is from Itu (São Paulo). She is awesome. Super excited to be serving the Lord, which makes working that much more fun (and easier). We seem to be in sync. Her name is Sister Cortez.

Miracle of the week--
One day, I decided to set aside and contact ALL of the references from other missionaries. We had received a ton, during the week my companion went home. And so we set out on a journey, in the farthest part of the west side of Gama. And we are just going about, contacting...finding the addresses, teaching a little bit here or there. And we are about to go to one that the address was a little skiwomp. But I had a number. Keep in mind, this dude has already been to church, and read half the book of Mormon. So i am getting anxious to contact and start teaching him. So as I am calling him, somebody answers and they have never heard of anybody by this name. And so I hang up. What do I do???  I am looking at the address, and it looks like an address in central part of Gama, not west. So I just decide, Okay, I will go there later today when we are there. And we move on to the next address. We are searching for this address (houses and addresses in brasil are totally sketch...) and its hot, and my companion is thinking I am crazy and she was partially dying as she still isn't accustomed to mission life. I am asking everybody where this address is located, and nobody knows. But for some reason, I am not giving up. When all of a sudden, I turn the corner....and the address before was right there! And the dude who had been to church, read the book of Mormon was in his driveway! And I just looked up at Heavenly Father, and started to laugh. Cause sometimes, he sure is funny how he shows me the way. And sure enough, this kid (Allison) is awesome! I am excited to see what happens with him!

This week, was a week of progress for ALL of our investigators. But most importantly....EVALDO! 
This week, he started to take steps backwards, and I was getting SUPER worried. When all of a sudden, a little voice told me, just ask him if he believes the Book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ. So I decided to ask him. And in that moment, he stopped, my companion stopped, and the silence just grew. And he said, "Yes." And in that moment, words just started coming out of my mouth, kind of like when we read that book "If you give a Mouse of Cookie...", and I begin to list the things we know if we know the Book of Mormon is true. "If we believe the Book of Mormon is true, we know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet, we know that we have a Prophet here in this earth, and that they have Priesthood power, that Jesus Christ visited the Americas, and that The Church of Jesus Christ was restored to this through this priesthood power, starting with Joseph Smith. And we know, that the Church that we are representing today, is the only true church on this earth. 
And we just sat there, waiting for a response from him, and he just smiles. Then starts to talk about the Word of Wisdom and how he is going to stop drinking coffee and smoking. And without hesitation starts talking about how he is going to go to church the FULL three hours. And I just sat there.... "Heavenly Father, you are a miracle worker."

I really am realizing that God works in different ways. More than half the time, I think I am talking to my investigator, teaching them, and the spirit is testifying and that they are going to accept it...and then all of a sudden-- NO! Something happens. And I sit there, and think WHYYYYYY! The spirit was there. But as Jeffery R. Holland said, part of my mission will be to convert myself unto this Gospel. And I realize....that what I thought was needed for the investigator, and would touch their hearts, was actually for me, I just didn't know it. The Lord, he works when we least expect it. As much as I am grateful to be here in Brasil, helping others...I am even more grateful that my testimony is growing of this wonderful Restored Gospel. 

And as I have been training, I am so grateful to learn every day how to be a better instrument in His hands. 
I am grateful for this opportunity. I am grateful my growing knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that He lives, and that he paid the price. I love you guys, and am so grateful for every single one of you! 

TE AMO!
Sister Craig

 My daughter in the mission!!!!!!! Sister Cortez! She is a blast. 
 First day of these two Newbies! From Left to right-- Sister Cortez (my companion), Sister Pariona, from Peru, Me, Sister Souza!
 Filling the buckets to clean!
We helped him wash his car at 7 o'clock at night! It was a blast! My family away from family!

No comments:

Post a Comment